Gout, a form of inflammatory arthritis, it was often considered an old man's disease but is becoming more prevalent in today's society.
Gout is due to elevated uric acid levels in the bloodstream and tissues. Uric acid is a waste product that the body removes via the kidneys. If the kidneys aren't working properly to eliminate this acid, or if there is an overproduction, then uric acid forms small sharp crystals around the joints, usually in the big toe, causing extreme pain and swelling.
The biggest risk factors to gout are:
- A diet rich in meat, especially bacon, turkey, veal, organ meats, oily seafood, mussels and scallops.
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Obesity as it puts extra strain on the kidneys
- Certain medications
- Hypertension, diabetes, heart disease and kidney disease
- Recent surgery or trauma which can elevate uric acid levels
- Heavy metal toxicity
- Male over 40 years of age
- Post menopausal female
- Family history
If you think you may be suffering from gout then don't put up with the pain. Get some bloods and through diet and supplementation alone we can treat your condition, no more pain.